Kit TK02: London Transport E/1 open driver's platform
- The London E/1 class trams were originally designed and built in 1907.
They were built in 3 basic series and were rebuilt several times.
- The model depicts the series 2 cars taken over from Walthamstow or
Croydon. Originally built for their own systems, they were later merged
into London Transport.
- Some of the original cars were still without enclosed driver's platform
windscreens during the war years.
- Most E/1s had provision for contuit pickup for running in central London.
- The E/1s were withdrawn and scrapped between 1950 and 1952 when London
Transport ceased using trams.
- The E/1 tram number 1025 is preserved at the London Transport Museum at
Covent Garden. The rehabilitated E/1r tram number 1622 is preserved at the
National Tramway Museum at Crich.
Kit special features
- This kit has two plastic bogies with turning wheels.
- The model is about 13 cm/5 inches long.
- A full set of glazing parts is included.
- The transfers/decals have adverts for 'New of the World' and
- Cooper, Terence (Ed). 1977. The wheels used to talk to us. Sheaf
Publishing, Sheffield. ISBN 0 9505458 0 5. (Out of print)
The fascinating story of tramway man, Stan Collins.
- Oakley, E. R. and Holland, C. E. 1998. London Transport Tramways 1933 -
1952. The London Tramways History Group. ISBN 0 9513001 2 1.
A very detailed technical history of London Transport.
- Reed, John. 1997. London Tramways. Capital Transport Publishing. ISBN
185414 179 1.
A beautiful pictorial history of all London tramways.
- Thompson, Julian. 1971. London Trams in Camera. Ian Allen. ISBN 7110 0230
4. (Out of print)
A book describing the atmosphere of London tramways after 1945.
- Voice, David.1985. London Tramways: their history & how to model
them. Patrick Stephens Ltd., Cambridge. ISBN 0-85059-668-8 (Out of print)
Explains how to make an amazing variety of OO gauge model London
- Wiseman, R.J.S. 1986. Classic Tramcars. Ian Allen. ISBN 0 7110 1560 0.
Contains Eric Thornton's drawing of the E/1 cars.
| Depot | News | Products | How to buy | Contact us | Links | Next Kit--> |
Copyright © 1997-2015 BEC-KITS. All rights
reserved. Last updated on 2015-10-28 by