Kit TK05: Leeds Feltham
- Experiments were made in the 1920's to break away from established
traditions of tramcar design. The experimental tramcars 'Bluebell' and
'Poppy' led to the introduction of the first operational Felthams in 1929.
- They were built by the Union Construction Company at Feltham in Middlesex
(hence the name) and were put into service in 1931.
- A total of 100 cars were built, 54 for the M.E.T. and 46 for the L.U.T.
- The standard Felthams had rear entrances and front exits. They had seats
for 22 on the lower deck and 42 on the upper deck, with standing room for
about a further 40 passengers. This made them considerably larger and more
comfortable than other bogie trams then currently in service.
- London Passenger Transport Board took over the Felthams in 1933 and
re-numbered them 2066 to 2165.
- When London Transport was dispensing with trams, they sold 92 of the
Felthams to Leeds between 1949 and 1951. Two fo them were burnt out before
they could be transferred. Leeds numbered the cars 501 to 590 and some of
them survived until the Leeds system closed in 1959.
- Two Feltham are preserved, MET355 at the London Transport Museum at
Covent Garden in Metropolitan livery and MET341 at the Seashore Electric
Railway Museum, Kennebunkport, U.S.A.
Kit special features
- This kit has two plastic bogies with turning wheels.
- A full set of glazing parts is included.
- The transfers/decals have adverts for 'Melbourne Ales'.
- Voice, David.1985. London Tramways: their history & how to model
them. Patrick Stephens Ltd., Cambridge. ISBN 0-85059-668-8 (Out of print)
Explains how to make an amazing variety of OO gauge model London
- Waller, Peter. 1993. The Classic Trams: 30 years of tramcar design
1920-1950. Ian Allen. ISBN 0 7110 2160 0.
Chapter 10 is a detailed history of the development of the Feltham
- Wiseman, R.J.S. 1986. Classic Tramcars. Ian Allen. ISBN 0 7110 1560 0.
Contains Eric Thornton's drawing of the Feltham cars.
- Young, Andrew D. 1970?. Leeds Trams 1932-1959. Light Railway Transport
League. ISBN 0 900433 56 6. (Out of print)
Contains F. J. Roche's drawing of the Feltham cars.
| Depot | News | Products | How to buy | Contact us | Links | Next Kit--> |
Copyright © 1997-2015 BEC-KITS. All rights
reserved. Last updated on 2015-10-28 by